U.S. Chamber of Commerce Sues Trump Administration Over $100,000 H-1B Visa Fee

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the nation’s largest business lobbying group, filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration on Thursday, challenging the president’s imposition of a $100,000 fee on new H-1B visa applications. The lawsuit contends that the fee is illegal because it overrides federal immigration law and seeks an injunction to block the charge from taking effect.

Chamber’s Concerns

Neil Bradley, executive vice president of the Chamber, said the new fee would make the H-1B program cost-prohibitive, particularly for start-ups and small to mid-sized businesses. “The program was created by Congress to ensure that American businesses of all sizes can access the global talent they need,” he added.

The Chamber had polled its members in September to gauge willingness to join a lawsuit, ultimately filing independently. The complaint argues that the Chamber has legal standing because many members employ H-1B workers and intend to continue sponsoring future hires through the visa program.

White House Response

The White House defended the fee, calling it a legal and “incremental step towards necessary reforms” of the H-1B program. Taylor Rogers, assistant press secretary, said the policy aims to prioritize American workers, prevent system abuse, and provide clarity to employers seeking foreign talent.

Industry Impact

Technology companies would be the most affected, as they dominate the H-1B program. Amazon hired 10,044 H-1B employees between 2009 and June 2025, followed by Microsoft with 5,189 and Meta with 5,123, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

The Chamber’s membership includes major U.S. corporations such as Amazon, Alphabet, and Meta, giving the lawsuit significant weight in the business community.

Legal Arguments

The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Washington, D.C., names the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the State Department as defendants. It argues that the $100,000 fee contravenes Congress’s fee structure for H-1B visas and undermines the legislative intent of providing a pathway for up to 85,000 skilled workers annually to contribute to the U.S. economy.

While the Chamber has previously considered legal action against sweeping tariffs, it ultimately chose not to pursue those cases. In its statement on Thursday, the group praised the president for efforts to secure U.S. borders and affirmed shared goals of attracting and retaining global talent.

This lawsuit adds to mounting legal challenges against the Trump administration’s changes to the H-1B program, following similar actions by a global nurse staffing agency and several unions earlier this month.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Macro Nepal Helper